#91 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 03:27 PM

PrejudiceSucks, on Aug 12 2005, 09:55 AM, said:

Human Warrior, I suggested it to BeefOnTheBone to put in the guide.

Reason?

Because you level up very, very quickly and this nets you very high amounts of health. It doesnīt really matter that you donīt have any special abilities, thatīs not really a problem.
that is NOT the best combo... yeah you level quickly but there is a level 50 limit... meaning that in the long run you will be alot weaker than with a slow leveling char... it is a GREAT starting char though :) (**EDIT** oh and if your going to use this char then make sure you pack 50 rods of --INSERT GREAT MAGIC SPELL HERE-- with you... chopping your way through gets pretty tedious after ahwhile)

i have to review ToME (whenever i stop playing it for a 5 mins) so you guys start playing a good angband variant ;)

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#92 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 03:55 PM

Yup, 's why I put it under Beginners or whatever that bit's called. It's only going to be a small disadvantage you have compared with other characters though - by the time you reach level 50 (if you ever do) your stats will be pretty high anyway.
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

I'm your solar-powered princess/Your technological soulmate.

#93 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 04:03 PM

DakaSha, on Aug 18 2005, 05:27 PM, said:

i have to review ToME (whenever i stop playing it for a 5 mins) so you guys start playing a good angband variant ;)
Compiling the tome source as I write this. I gotta try it out.  :)

#94 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 10:36 AM

Just tried ToME and found it not-so-good-as-Zangband-but-not-too-bad-either... And I'm pretty damn bored of:
1) teleporting thieves...
2) huge dungeons where you too easily start running blindly just to get to the other end of the tunnel... resulting dead as some monster kills you because you had no time to react and blast that damn thing to pieces from safe range...
3) repetition of all rogue-likes, they don't seem to evolve...
4) my critique...  :)
...70 years... LOL

#95 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 10:49 AM

Juni Ori, on Aug 19 2005, 10:36 AM, said:

Just tried ToME and found it not-so-good-as-Zangband-but-not-too-bad-either... And I'm pretty damn bored of:
1) teleporting thieves...
2) huge dungeons where you too easily start running blindly just to get to the other end of the tunnel... resulting dead as some monster kills you because you had no time to react and blast that damn thing to pieces from safe range...
3) repetition of all rogue-likes, they don't seem to evolve...
4) my critique...  :)
1. cant really say much to that... taste thing i guess
2. same in zangband... and to tell you the truth i havnt died once because of that (except as a lost soul but... play one and youll know why)
3. your right here but it is an angband clone so what did you expect? ;)
4. your entitled to your opinion ;)

i like ToME more because of:

1. skill development...something that zangband doesnt have and a RPG NEEDS in my opinion

2. nice main map with lots of places to go and lots of quests.

3. better spells and spell system

4. alot better char generation (although it is more unbalanced than zangband... big downfall of ToME)

5. more monsters and stuff

6. biggest + point IMO is the overall atmosphere.. i just like the game world more.

(ps... im playing with a MOD named theme by the way... its not much different than vanilla ToME but it has a few changes that i think make it better)

i started playing Angband with ZangbandTK and had alot of fun. when i found ToME i quit playing it though.

Posted Image
For all you artists here... and we have enough. Please draw me something :D Click Here. If possible include your nick. A simple Test. dunno of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!2

#96 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 01:33 PM

there is skill development in Zangband, but there's no real player input in it - it happens behind the scenes as you level up. haven't tried tome yet - still haven't got round to playing ADoM properly yet either...
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)
also consider this - the turkey *male genital*ula is called little asia on some geographical maps maps.

#97 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 01:45 PM

the skill development in zangband is pre-set.
in ToME you decide what you want to raise.

they are actually pretty on par so:

Zangband is better if you just want to go down the dungeon untill you beat sauron and morgoth.

ToME is better if you prefer a more epic roguelike.

im more of the epic fan so thats why i prefer ToME

Posted Image

#98 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 04:11 PM

I've tried ToME now and I'm very impressed. I'm just put off at the moment to learn all the shortcut keys. Is there some graphical front end for ToME?

#99 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 04:17 PM

yes sir.

just use the menu(top of the screen) to use the "new tiles" (id use large tiles also... it looks better and doesnt strain the eyes as much)

Posted Image

#100 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 04:17 PM

DakaSha, my critique was pointed towards all rogue-likes. And I don't hate them, more like I enjoy them, but sometimes I feel it hasn't anything new to offer, or that little new is insignificant. Without critique there's no evolution, or something. And my most important point forgot totally: changing dungeon levels. Something that I guess I'll never learn accepting. But I can live with that, if the game is otherwise good enough. And both of these are. If I only had time, skill and funding to make rogue-like myself.. Well, one can dream. Btw, I know I get bored too easily to running through dungeons and that's why I go running blindly through them and get killed, if there's difficult enough opponent and my char ain't melee-fighter. Oh and I like too that better world map and skill progression, but still I wonder why char can't be centered all the time? Or is there option to make it do that? I haven't studied thoroughly it yet. And against my previous critique, there has been evolution, such as graphics, which aren't quite necessity, but improve the game's atmosphere if well done. Well, that's about it, have a nice weekend! *goes to fridge to get a beer*  :)
...70 years... LOL

#101 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 04:21 PM

heh.. ok sorry juni  :)

yeah there is a way to center the screen on the player. oh and adom doesnt have changing dungeons ;) (except one)

Posted Image

#102 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 05:26 PM

DakaSha, on Aug 19 2005, 06:17 PM, said:

yes sir.

just use the menu(top of the screen) to use the "new tiles" (id use large tiles also... it looks better and doesnt strain the eyes as much)
Hmm I compiled it from source (playing it in Linux) and I don't see any menu...

*edit*
This conversation should be split into the ToME thread in the request forum...

#103 BeefontheBone

BeefontheBone

Self-titling Egotist

• Members
  • 2953 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 06:08 PM

Juni, have you tried Mordor? It has fixed dungeons and I reckon you might enjoy it - check out Braindead's site here.

Edit: Doh, splittage - copying to the Tome thread...
[center]
QUOTE (gregor)

#104 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 10:59 PM

DakaSha, no need to be sorry, or did I miss something? And I just tried and I didn't find how to center view, so could you please tell me how? And that's why I like ADoM, it doesn't have all-the-time-randomized-dungeons, but one, that is??

Beefy (again, I like to shorten up peoples nicks in forums.. tell me if it bothers you), sorry, I'm not sure what game you're talking about? Name Mordor doesn't ring a bell..

I'm back tomorrow and I'll clear things out, I just came home from bar and I'm bit.. well, you know.. drunk?  ;)

Well, I'm more than drunk, because I'd never say this else, but I luv u guys!  :)
...70 years... LOL

#105 DakaSha

DakaSha

Happy Little Tree-hugger

• Banned
  • 2013 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 11:09 PM

just sorry for misunderstanding your post. :)

Posted Image

Back to Games on Reloaded

Reply to this topic