66 replies to this topic

#61 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 07:39 AM

What I hated in school was those bloody swedish lessons! My family from mother's side used to speak better swedish than finnish, so it should had been easier to me, but no... Then again, I guess I'll fare for some time in discussion with my basics, but it's not fun. Pronouncing is actually quite simple. Put a hot potato to your mouth and start speaking, nobody distinguishes you from native! :)
...70 years... LOL

#62 Flop

Flop

Aspiring Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 08:16 AM

It's funny that you should mention the potato in the mouth, because I've always heard that's what the Swedes think the Danes sound like. It's interesting that the Finnish apparantly think that's how the Swedes sound. Take that Sweden! :)
Furthermore, it is my opinion that Carthage must be destroyed.

#63 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 08:28 AM

Flop, on Nov 3 2005, 08:16 AM, said:

It's funny that you should mention the potato in the mouth, because I've always heard that's what the Swedes think the Danes sound like. It's interesting that the Finnish apparantly think that's how the Swedes sound. Take that Sweden! :bye:
No, Danish sounds more like you're speaking while your mouth is full of mashed potatoes. You know, the consonants get sort of swallowed up...:)

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#64 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 08:44 AM

It's funny that you should mention the potato in the mouth, because I've always heard that's what the Swedes think the Danes sound like. It's interesting that the Finnish apparantly think that's how the Swedes sound. Take that Sweden! :bye:
Well, Swedish spoken in Finland is clearly articulated, but Swedish-Swedish is just something terrible gibberish. But to be honest, so is Danish too! And not to forget Norwegian... ;) And yes I know I know, Finnish sounds like terrible. One Swedish girl - total fantasy freak - mentioned that Tolkien must had had Finnish in mind when he described orcish language... :)
...70 years... LOL

#65 A. J. Raffles

A. J. Raffles

The Grand Inquisitor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6304 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 08:46 AM

Nooo! Norwegian's great. Except perhaps for that remarkably ugly dialect they speak around Trondheim.:)

"Flippin' immigrants, stealin' our bandwidth etc. etc." - PrejudiceSucks

#66 Flop

Flop

Aspiring Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 08:48 AM

A. J. Raffles, on Nov 3 2005, 10:28 AM, said:

It's funny that you should mention the potato in the mouth, because I've always heard that's what the Swedes think the Danes sound like. It's interesting that the Finnish apparantly think that's how the Swedes sound. Take that Sweden! ;)
No, Danish sounds more like you're speaking while your mouth is full of mashed potatoes. You know, the consonants get sort of swallowed up...:)
What dialect are you talking about here? I can understand if you think people from southern Jutland speak like that, but me? Never! :bye:
Furthermore, it is my opinion that Carthage must be destroyed.

#67 MdaG

MdaG

AR-coholic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 07:56 AM

To me as a swede:

danish sounds like a swede having oatmeal for breakfast and forgetting so swallow... It's like the swdish people speak in the southern part of Sweden called Skåne.

norweigan sounds really cheeky and gay (not homosexual!). It's very similar to a dialect we have in a eastern part of Sweden called Värmland.