56 replies to this topic

#31 Sinke

Sinke

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 11:56 AM

Super Smash Brothers featuring AR Admins and Crew!

Really, people, I had a warn increase for things much less then some parts of your discussion   :)  

In any case, let's put the ball on the ground and continue the discussion: what is the best novel-based game? I believe Discworld is quite high on my ladder, but the script was not really novel based, rather it was written by Pratchett for the game specifically.

I wanted to play Clark's "Rama" which is rumored to be abandonware, and AR features Pohl's Gateway which is also a great adaptation. Oh, not to forget SNES Lords of the Rings.
One can always get mocked for being polite.

#32 taikara

taikara

Tai-Fu Mastah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2389 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 02:55 PM

Please don't misinform the community - you received one warn mostly due to your history of behavior, not due to just the one isolated incident. Good faith goes a long way around here, as we try to determine firstly whether someone intends harm or not, and at that point, you hadn't displayed any. :)

Besides, it was over before you chose to give commentary.

However, I apologize if my expression of agitation with the comments directed towards me has made the community uncomfortable, and if I am deserving of a warn, I will leave it to the crew to decide.

RAMA is a good game, but I'm not sure it could be considered the best. I don't think I've played enough novel-based games to give an informed opinion.

@greywolf: It doesn't matter if your book is well known, only if the allusions you are making are well known :P
..<[[[Tofu Ninja of the Pickasldawessle Order]]]>..
QUOTE (Tai - in response to DD on how people who fear change are like cats)
you mean the "you moved my litterbox, so I'm going to pee in your clothes hamper" attitude?
Yes, I just quoted myself. ph34r my T4i-F00!!.
doodoodoo!!!

#33 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 12:07 PM

My book hasn't advanced a bit in over a week. This is one of the most straining moments: you'd love and have to get forward, but you're going insane as you can't get anything done. Ideas circle inside your head, you even have ready text there, but you can't start writing. Of course outside the work issues, such as girlfriends, real job, etc make it even harder, but from experience I know the real reason and result: I've gone too fast forward and now I'm not satisfied with what I've finished. Soon I'll be jumping backwards and rewriting the whole thing. Well, not whole, as many parts will remain the same, but still there's a lot of work. However, the current style and main lines I find far more satisfactory than before.

Has anyone else experienced this same?
...70 years... LOL

#34 a1s

a1s

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 01:02 PM

hey everyone! :P

on topic of the disscussion: in my younger  days (that is to say when I was 14-16, and now I'm 21 :P ) I used to write 1-2 page humorous stories, which seemed to be well recived by my friends, but I never won any awards or anything, so they might have been pretending...  :)
nowdays I don't write much of anything- I sometimes have Ideas for short strories but never have the patience to actualy write them.

as for something a bit offtopic:

View PostJuni Ori, on Mar 14 2007, 04:39 PM, said:

You are very correct at what you say about quantities of fantasy. In my story, there's witch who has experienced twice certain mythical powers - and that's it. There's only one legendary artifact - no proven powers yet. And I'm halfway my book.
I was wondering weather that is such a good idea. I allways found that the magic in all the books seems to come as if from some sort of secret society. enphasis on the word "secret". and why is it that the best stuff is allways ancient? in our world thing are usualy better if they were made later in time (at least if we are talking about a sicnge civilization, most of the stuff romans had in year 1 was better than that made by american indians in 1500s). the way I allways saw a magical world in my mind was much like our own, possibly with with carpets insted of airplanes, crystall balls insted of televisons or even hordes of trans-dimensional demons instead of illegal immigrants, but still progressive in nature rather than the stuck-in-the-late-middle-ages-with-magic-for-a-twist kind of deal. even the real middle ages werent that stagnant.
has anybody written/read something like this?

P.S. could you give links to your work, guys?
Those of you being liberal-art majors � don�t worry, advanced mathematics were largely omitted from this text in concern for your mental health.

QUOTE (Mighty Midget)
if BP has potied on Twilight Zone episode, I will strangle him

secret adept of the PICKALLONWEASEL order

#35 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 06:52 AM

About that artifact: who said it was best? :) Well-known fact is that old and well-proven swords were wanted before more industrial production. The logic behind this was: if it has made it this far, it has to be good and reliable. Magic is in my opinion far better if it is scarce and secret society kind of thing. Just like all professionals throughout history have jealously hidden their secrets, why wouldn't those who master supernatural powers hold their secrets? And to continue on the issue, the original meaning of "magi" was something along "learned" or "wiseman" who definitely held their secrets and thus were mystic men. Which has been the same everywhere: priests, shamans, druids, etc have held their secrets to remain in power.

What you said about stagnant late-middle-age-with-magic, my project is far from that. As I believe I already mentioned, it's more like from the late roman / dark ages - and what I haven't yet said - to the enlightment era thing. Spiced with supernatural powers. I can also admit I have huge fantasies of continuing the story well beyond our age, but that's clearly far future if ever issue.

P.S. No I could not. All my text in public is visible in these forums and nothing more will come until my special project exclusively for Reloaded is ready. You know, I'm seriously trying to get my text published. Which brings another issue: I bet you wouldn't do much with my text - it's in Finnish. :P
...70 years... LOL

#36 Himmler

Himmler

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 04:30 PM

i'll write a book someday... i've got skill, but i don't have time atm and probably never will, but my style will never fade away.

#37 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:28 AM

33'533 refined words. I'll read this once more through, make fixes and perhaps add something if I can come up with something clever. After that, I think it's publisher time. Or, if I chicken, I'll pass it to one more reader before taking such action. Considering this was originally meant to be introduction to a story telling about times before my main project back then, it has grown huge - almost a full size book. Thus the possible growing. Ideal would be 50'000, but I'll be satisfied several thousand more.

Btw, I have to admit I'm little nervous about taking this to publisher. :P
...70 years... LOL

#38 Frodo

Frodo

Your neck looks very... tasty!

• Admin
  • 9534 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 12:42 PM

You've worked really hard on this book Juni, and it's great that it has grown so much.   ;)

I'm wishing you all the luck when it's publisher time.  You have a lot of talent, and I'm sure things will go well.   :P
Please click on my dragons to help them grow -    Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image

#39 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 01:28 PM

Thanks! Word count will apparently raise some thousands easily, so I'll maybe aim to 40'000 words. I'm reading printed version and writing notes and additions with a pencil (free hint to anyone writing a story: strongly recommendable, it's better to read it with time from paper).

But I must say reading in editing purpose is frigging hard and exhausting! Almost an hour and I'm tired of rereading same spot again and again, trying to find how it would be better. Also cross-checking significant amount of references in the story is real pain in the moneymaker. Hopefully this is that moneymaker! ;) :P
...70 years... LOL

#40 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 12:30 PM

Replying to my own post: edit-reading isn't frigging hard and exhausting! It's something even worse!!! But now I've hit end of the second chapter, totaling 67'975 words. The third chapter has almost 10'000 words now, but I have to finish, edit-read and edit it. Perhaps I will get this done this year...
...70 years... LOL

#41 chumloofah

chumloofah

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 06:04 PM

I've destroyed more chapter ones than mortal man could shake a stick at.
Annihilated.
And sentences that have had manky great pencil marks drawn through them two words in because I don't like the way the consonants clash.

Finished a sentence?
Time to read it over...
Reads like pretentious *rooster*.
Another pencil line.
Simplify that piss.
The rhythm is now intolerable.
Bin.
Smoke a cigarette and hate self.

This is how I'm slowly getting my magnum opus on.
Hell yeah!

#42 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 04:10 PM

Okay, now the printer is running two copies of my book: first one to a friend and another to the publisher. 39 711 words isn't quite enough, but I decided that I go with the part one alone, as it's coherent and is only stand-alone. The rest parts will go either in one lot bigger book or as trilogy, if I ever finish them.

Wish me luck.
...70 years... LOL

#43 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 01:48 PM

No, no I didn't get the copy yet to the publisher. I've been so busy and everything that it had to wait and now I'm re-edit-writing it. (Again.) About 42k words in final and now I have a schedule when to leave it to the publisher.

All I have to say about writing a book: helluva job! I've given up several times and last one was so close to be final that I'm not sure does my book survive possible next one.
...70 years... LOL

#44 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 07:20 PM

Hey good job actually finishing, I find my brain so scrambled when trying to write anything that all the pieces I have actually written turn out to be some stream-of-consciousness coalescent piece of madness.

That takes some focus.

Knight of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!21
Best Topics Ever: Aywanez Splenda Women PICKLEWESSEL Signs OMG

#45 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 04:52 PM

It really is hard and you're right, it takes some focus. Right now I've been too busy to make any progress. Hopefully I get much done this weekend.
...70 years... LOL