Games You Are Looking Forward To (playing)!

38 replies to this topic

#31 stupid

stupid

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 02:18 AM

Games were always uncreative tripe, you just never noticed it until now because you were a kid and most kids are content to buy the same game multiple times (See pokemon).

But a game doesn't have to be creative and innovative to be fun, every Zelda and Mario game is basically the same thing with different levels and items but that doesn't make them any less fun.

On Topic: I'm looking forward to the next version of Dwarf Fortress, Bioshock, and Half Life Episode 2.

#32 PrejudiceSucks

PrejudiceSucks

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:54 PM

View PostJuni Ori, on Apr 24 2007, 06:00 AM, said:

Were they ever going to do sequel to Fallout Tactics?
I have to say that the core fanbase really, really hated it. I really enjoyed it as well as the rest of the series, but basically they kvetched that it didn't follow the "official" plot and hence not that many people bought it.

So I don't think they're going to make one for a very, very long time, unless someone mods it for FO3 (which they might well - Bethesda have always been generous to modders)

#33 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:35 PM

View PostPrejudiceSucks, on May 14 2007, 02:54 PM, said:

View PostJuni Ori, on Apr 24 2007, 06:00 AM, said:

Were they ever going to do sequel to Fallout Tactics?
I have to say that the core fanbase really, really hated it. I really enjoyed it as well as the rest of the series, but basically they kvetched that it didn't follow the "official" plot and hence not that many people bought it.

So I don't think they're going to make one for a very, very long time, unless someone mods it for FO3 (which they might well - Bethesda have always been generous to modders)

The so called "core" fanbase can go *meep* themselves, Fallout Tactics was a marvel of gameplay, seriously, the combat in it was spectacular, and it felt real, that game gave me the biggest rush of any title in its era.

I also enjoyed the fact that the thing the usual fans complain about (the story) wasn't recycled in this title like it was in Fallout 2, and although it doesn't beat the first game's story, it certainly is better than Fallout 2's.
As for Fallout 3, I have faith in them, they're a good development house, people can whine all they want about Oblivion, but at face value, it's a terrific game, people like to complain about it just like they like to whine about other great games.

If Bethesda turns out to turn Fallout 3 into Oblivion with guns/post-apoc setting, I won't be happy, but no biggie, there's still a fantastic lot of potential to make something great that doesn't necessarily stick to the original formula. If they DO plan to make it similar to the older games, it better be an massive revamp of the game's mechanics, the same way Tactics revised most of the rules, it's just way too outdated for today.
This will probably cause insanity, but Van Buren (the video of it that has been released) looks utterly pathetic. The graphics I don't care about, it was a pre-alpha, tech demo that had absolutely nothing specific, but from the way it looked, Black Isle seemed intent on packaging out what Fallout 2 was, a simple expansion of a game released as a stand-alone product, but with 3D graphics.

Some people might have enjoyed that, but I'd hate it, more so than "Oblivion with Guns" because then Black Isle would have just been cashing in on fans, releasing a product they barely put any effort into, and have the "true" fans come screaming after it because it's supposedly "true" to the original, only to have a sub par product with nothing new to it.
I won't discredit Black Isle's contributions to the RPG genre, but they were burning out near the end.

As for mods on FO3, there actually tons of mods for the original Fallout and its sequel, I'm not sure about Tactics, although I doubt any of them build off that story.

Knight of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!21
Best Topics Ever: Aywanez Splenda Women PICKLEWESSEL Signs OMG

#34 Minicow

Minicow

Forum Peon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 10:51 PM

The only game I'm really looking forward to, right now, is 1944 D-Day: Operation Overlord. It's one of the best looking games I've seen, both literally and figuratively.

#35 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 12:52 AM

Do you have any links? Demo, screenshots, anything?
...70 years... LOL

#36 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 01:25 AM

Google dude, google.

http://www.1944d-day.com/

Knight of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!21
Best Topics Ever: Aywanez Splenda Women PICKLEWESSEL Signs OMG

#37 Eagle of Fire

Eagle of Fire

AR-coholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 03:13 AM

The so called "core" fanbase can go *meep* themselves, Fallout Tactics was a marvel of gameplay, seriously, the combat in it was spectacular, and it felt real, that game gave me the biggest rush of any title in its era.
If you think like that, then just don't name your game after another one. It's as simple as that.

What the gaming industry often fail to realise, is that when I buy a Fallout game I expect it to be a Fallout game. Not something completely different, unrelated to the other earlier games. If you want to make a game like Fallout but with another story, then fine! Just make the game but create a totally new name for it...

The whole thing is that when the so called producers think of a game, they need hard grounds to market it. The whole idea of naming the game after the Fallout serie, for them, literally translate to a fixed minimum number of sales without even thinking about the story or the gameplay the game will use when it will be done.

That's marketting thinking... As gamer thinking, who can care less about a game which is crappy, lame or uninteresting to play? Worse, you want to create a crappy game and flag it as the followup of one of the best games ever created? Infamy!

Just think about MOO3... The story was incredible, but didn't really follow up the story of the first MOO since there was next to none. To make the game "original", they fundamentally changed the gameplay of the game, which was the exact same original spirit of the game... MOO3 was, no doubt, the hell of a good simulation game... But it just wasn't MOO, and it been rightfully bashed down by fans.

Now, I don't know about Fallout Tactics because I barely played it... But to say that the fans themselves have nothing to say in the matter? That's a big, big mistake.
"I am on a hot streak... Literally"

#38 Iendicis

Iendicis

Member Munchkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 06:02 PM

I played the first Fallout, and it was fun...not fun enough to keep me playing, but fun...I don't think I'll get into anything else for a while, though.

In another tangent, I am enjoying (to a fault) a freeware game called Legends. It's basically Tribes 2, but tweaked for the forum fans. It's still early in implementation, but it's a fun game and is a little tighter action than Tribes 1.
I have been informed that today is, in fact, opposite day, and what you've written there is absolutely true so you should probably just go.
Rabbleous rabblerousers. Christ on a bike. Quite naturally people took you for a lunatic. Your only salvation now is complete rest.

#39 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 01:04 AM

Let me put it this way: the first isn't the worst. Fallout 2 was significantly better that Fallout 1. However, if you couldn't play Fallout 1 to the end, you can't play Fallout 2 to the end.
...70 years... LOL

Reply to this topic