73 replies to this topic

#31 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 03:42 PM

In Doomish FPS, where killing another takes whole clip or bazooka, I tend to reload often. It took ages in OFP to learn not to. Unless the situation is over or there's a major pause in the battle there's no reason to reload unless you have less than 5/30 ammo.

Another that I've began to do in OFP is that I tend to save my ammo. With lmg/saw I try to shoot single or double shots to take down enemy. Okay, that's not yet weird. Counting the ammo per bodycount ratio in my head during battle is. [brag]In multiplayer my best so far is almost 1,9.[/brag]
...70 years... LOL

#32 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 03:47 PM

View PostJuni Ori, on Nov 14 2006, 03:42 PM, said:

In Doomish FPS, where killing another takes whole clip or bazooka, I tend to reload often. It took ages in OFP to learn not to. Unless the situation is over or there's a major pause in the battle there's no reason to reload unless you have less than 5/30 ammo.

Another that I've began to do in OFP is that I tend to save my ammo. With lmg/saw I try to shoot single or double shots to take down enemy. Okay, that's not yet weird. Counting the ammo per bodycount ratio in my head during battle is. [brag]In multiplayer my best so far is almost 1,9.[/brag]
Me too, I tend to do that as well.

#33 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 04:41 PM

I've done the reloading while your weapon is still full too, although think most of the time it's an accident more often I'll do it when I've shot maybe one to two shots, just to be prepared I suppose. :sneaky:

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#34 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:49 PM

View PostJuni Ori, on Nov 14 2006, 10:42 AM, said:

I actually caught on to that very quickly when I first started playing Battlefield 2. Even in games where reloading disposes of all the ammo in the current clip, I still tend to reload even if there are a few rounds left in the magazine, it's better to lose a few rounds than run out in a battle.

Knight of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!21
Best Topics Ever: Aywanez Splenda Women PICKLEWESSEL Signs OMG

#35 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 05:20 AM

Indeed especially in those types of games where reloading takes a fair bit of time, when ya finish off a clip and ya got bullets flying all around, best to be prepared and not hear that dreaded sound "click"

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/Upcoming Concerts will be attending, 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden, 7/27/08: Judas Priest,

#36 RyGuy

RyGuy

A Usual Suspect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 03:53 PM

I tend to reload after every kill. Even if it only took one shot I need to have that full clip. Which unfortunately get's me into trouble in games that don't merge magazines so it's like throwing away a whole clip. Or it just get's me killed :sneaky:, trying to fix that.
IPB Image

#37 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 04:09 PM

View PostDeathDude, on Nov 16 2006, 07:20 AM, said:

Indeed especially in those types of games where reloading takes a fair bit of time, when ya finish off a clip and ya got bullets flying all around, best to be prepared and not hear that dreaded sound "click"
That's true, but unfortunately you hardly ever can be sure you don't need to shoot while relaoding. In OFP I've been several times close to begin reloading, after carefully listening surroundings. Then some noice has disturbed me, I've taken aim roughly to the direction the sound came from and saved my moneymaker by not reloading. It really depends in games with realistic reload times, when it's best moment to reload. I tend to be sure to be either in cover or in distance before reloading, hopefully somebody covering. Which brings into my mind another weird habit: when speaking through headset I always try to say as few words as possible - real combat style. This is not yet weird part. It comes when I go crazy when people babble like they're in a crowded bar playing hc-techno causing 160 dB! I usually shout and curse like hell and threaten people with very violent and painful future unless they stop babbling. I don't know what happens to me, but I just can't control myself! Hopefully I haven't yet been killed because of their babbling or my outburst. Once I even shot past my friend's head (in-game of course :P) to point out that: shut up! :sneaky: Killing is serious business and school girl gossip-level chat can wait 'til we meet irl! I mean, when they meet, they can gossip! :borg:

Must edit: Just noticed certain similiarity in me and Black Mage from 8-bit theatre here: "I usually shout and curse like hell and threaten people with very violent and painful future unless they stop babbling."
...70 years... LOL

#38 Potatoe

Potatoe

Freeware Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1487 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 09:25 PM

View PostJuni Ori, on Nov 16 2006, 04:09 PM, said:

View PostDeathDude, on Nov 16 2006, 07:20 AM, said:

That's true, but unfortunately you hardly ever can be sure you don't need to shoot while relaoding. In OFP I've been several times close to begin reloading, after carefully listening surroundings. Then some noice has disturbed me, I've taken aim roughly to the direction the sound came from and saved my moneymaker by not reloading. It really depends in games with realistic reload times, when it's best moment to reload. I tend to be sure to be either in cover or in distance before reloading, hopefully somebody covering. Which brings into my mind another weird habit: when speaking through headset I always try to say as few words as possible - real combat style. This is not yet weird part. It comes when I go crazy when people babble like they're in a crowded bar playing hc-techno causing 160 dB! I usually shout and curse like hell and threaten people with very violent and painful future unless they stop babbling. I don't know what happens to me, but I just can't control myself! Hopefully I haven't yet been killed because of their babbling or my outburst. Once I even shot past my friend's head (in-game of course :P) to point out that: shut up! :sneaky: Killing is serious business and school girl gossip-level chat can wait 'til we meet irl! I mean, when they meet, they can gossip! :borg:

Must edit: Just noticed certain similiarity in me and Black Mage from 8-bit theatre here: "I usually shout and curse like hell and threaten people with very violent and painful future unless they stop babbling."

You could cast magic missile on them.

Which brings me to my next point. When I play guild wars and I cast a spell I'm always looking for the rest button(even though there isn't any) because I used to play Neverwinter Nights a lot and it had the rest system(cos it's based on D&D rules). I used to rest even though I was missing one spell and/or one HP. Better safe than sorry.

#39 Blood-Pigggy

Blood-Pigggy

No mo' jibba jabba

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 01:53 AM

Next to the realistic reloading thing, I can also bring up the subject of removing crosshairs. Does anyone else do this? Usually any game with the option (not like Doom 3 or anything, I mean Call of Duty or Battlefield 2) to remove the crosshair, I always check it down. I mean, I don't use it in Multiplayer cause my aim is already bad enough, but when I'm playing singeplayer, it gives it that illusion of realism which is really cool.

If I just take pot shots at enemies far away in BF2 with the crosshair, I never find it fun, but with it off, it takes a certain level of skills and challenge that's pretty cool.

Anybody else do that?

Knight of the PICKLEWAESEL order!!1!21
Best Topics Ever: Aywanez Splenda Women PICKLEWESSEL Signs OMG

#40 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 03:29 AM

I don't remove crosshairs when I play nowadays. I just like the look of the cross hair personally, as in most cases it looks pretty nifty.  :sneaky: Plus it does help me aim, do know what ya mean that it does raise the challenge level but makes it more satisfying to not use a crosshair, which is true, but as in most cases in a FPS match, you won't have enough time to think about it, unless you want to end up face down on the ground.

Although actually with Goldeneye 007, that game doesn't use a crosshair unless you aim, and was actually really good multiplayer wise, so maybe will try it playing without one, another day.

#41 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 07:18 AM

Well I don't play other FPS's nowadays than OFP, wherein there's no option to remove "crosshair" - better call it pointer - for obvious reasons. In other games, when I used to play them, I never even realised there was an option for that. May had been more fun, if only the AI wouldn't be so accurate, as in some games it is.

Resting in every possible safe or semi-safe place is far too familiar to me...
...70 years... LOL

#42 Doubler

Doubler

A regular Llama

• Admin
  • 2740 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 01:29 PM

You actually can remove the crosshair in OFP. It's on the difficulty screen :sneaky:
I used to play FPS's without, OFP included. In OFP it's harder then in most others since the gun is rarely centered.

It's amazing how good your aim becomes when under pressure, though. Rounding a corner in a town or forest and suddenly being face to face with the enemy really helps making those shots count :P

Wonderfull sig and avvie by Taikara :D

#43 Juni Ori

Juni Ori

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 4277 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 01:49 PM

Hmm... is that so? Don't have OFP on hd now, so I can't check it, but anyways, why on earth would you play without "crosshair"??? All target giving etc... Guessing? Sounds pretty challenging and really pointless, no offence meant. Perhaps I just don't get it...
...70 years... LOL

#44 DeathDude

DeathDude

Duke de la Review

• Members
  • 6270 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 02:10 PM

It is basically for challenge more than anything. :P A lot of the console FPS's back in the day like Goldeneye didn't use crosshairs either except if ya manually were to aim at a target, it just keeps ya on your toe without a crosshair and just adds a new element to the game to see how you can perform without one. :sneaky:

#45 Doubler

Doubler

A regular Llama

• Admin
  • 2740 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 02:28 PM

Hmm... is that so? Don't have OFP on hd now, so I can't check it, but anyways, why on earth would you play without "crosshair"??? All target giving etc... Guessing? Sounds pretty challenging and really pointless, no offence meant. Perhaps I just don't get it...
Realism and challenge. Another setting disables all tooltips etc. too, so you really have to pay attention to what you shoot at. It's really a lot fun and adds a huge ammount of suspense (you can actually miss, as in "not aiming right" opposed to "gun peculiarities acting up")

The problem is, in original OFP at least, one of these options also disabled the scope(s) :P
I suppose they've propably fixed that :sneaky:

Wonderfull sig and avvie by Taikara :D